Monday, June 20, 2005

South Park Children's Message?



File under, "Internet Sermon Research: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly"
and "You've got to be kidding me!"

This is definitely ugly. Ran across the following children's message suggestion when I was researching Romans 6:1b-11. I often poke around the internet while researching texts for my sermon. Sometimes I find useful ideas or illustrations. The internet is a wonderful resource. Take Bul's Notes for example, or Scholia

Then sometimes you find something like this:

(from: THIS SITE)

I tried this out on Easter Sunday and it worked exceptionally well,
The children were brilliant and they were the ones who
really made this talk a success.I also issued a public health warning about South Park to the effect that the use of Kenny's experience was not an endorsement of the contents or language of the South Park programme!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I began by asking the children if they knew who the kid in the orange outfit is.
Having established who Kenny is, I then asked what happened to Kenny in every episode of South Park. Answer, he dies, often horribly. If the kids watch this cartoon series they will almost certainly be able to tell you with great enthusiasm a number of the more outrageous ways in which Kenny gets killed and also that the Christmas episode is the one time in the year when Kenny gets to stay alive past the final credits.

We established that Kenny's role in this series is to die and then come back to life again in time for the next episode. It is a never ending cycle in the programme which is destined to keep on happening for as long as the series runs. But today, on Easter Sunday, we remember Jesus, who died horribly on a cross on Good Friday but miraculously came back to life again on the first
Easter Sunday as the conqueror of death. The good news is that having died once for our sins he will never die again because his conquest over sin and death is forever. "For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all, but the life he lives, he lives to God." [Romans 6:9,10]


1. I've heard of some bad children's messages, but HOLY SMOKES!
2. I am NOT a big fan of South Park, though I have seen the show. However I find the "disclaimer" here is a joke.
3. Didn't I read something somewhere about everything in God's house being done "reverently and in good order"? What's reverent about South Park?

No comments: