Saturday, June 25, 2005

Hymn - "What A Wretched Man Am I?"



What A Wretched Man Am I?

Tune: Jesus, Meine Zuversicht
(“Jesus Christ, My Sure Defense”
Hymn # 266 from Lutheran Worship)
Based on Romans 7:15-25


What a wretched man am I?
What great conflict churns within me?
For, the good that I would try,
Never, like the evil, easy.
Who can save this man at odds?
Only Christ. Thanks be to God!

With a mind that’s sanctified,
And a flesh of evil nature,
Though in Christ I’m purified,
I am still a sin-filled creature.
But my faith is no façade,
So, in Christ, thanks be to God!

In the flesh a slave to sin,
But, in faith, my mind knows better,
Trusting Jesus Christ will win,
And release me from sin’s fetters.
All the glory praise and laud,
And in Christ, thanks be to God!

© Thomas E. Chryst, 2005.

No comments: