Wednesday, December 07, 2005

What to Do with Santa?


Conservative Jewish moral philosopher (and radio talk show host) Dennis Prager has an interesting article, "In Defense of Santa Claus"

In our house, my wife is the big anti-santa. Her objection seems two-fold. One is the honesty factor. Two is the emphasis (Santa vs. Christ). I'm with Prager more on the honesty factor (we let her watch Barney without the caveat that it's a guy in a purple dinosaur suit). I'm with my wife on the emphasis factor.

Cute story though: Our four year old heard "Here Comes Santa Claus" on the radio, and spontaneously started singing "Here Comes Jesus" instead.

Cute story two: She said to her mom, "I wish Santa was real. I'm going to talk to God and ask him to make Santa real". Kids. Gotta love 'em!

You can read more Lutheran reflections on Santa Claus at these blogs:

Burr in the Burgh

Cyberstones

Incarnatus Est

No comments: